Wild Blueberry Banana Pancakes
This is not a recipe or those who rushed in the mornings but if you have a relaxing morning in store, here is the ideal breakfast.
- ¾ cup of unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal optional
- I tablespoon sugar
- I ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 1 to 1 ½ cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- I cup fresh wild blueberries washed, patted dry
- Oil or clarified butter for griddle
- I banana peeled, thinly sliced
In a medium bowl, combine the three flours, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
In a separate bowl, beat the eggs with I cup of the milk and the melted butter.
Add the milk mixture to the flour mixture and stir just until you have a basic pancake batter. If the batter is too thick, add the additional ½ cup of milk, but do not stir too
much or the pancakes will be tough. Fold in the blueberries.
Heat a griddle, adding a little oil or clarified butter. Ladle a 5-inch circle of batter onto the griddle. Drop a few slices of banana into each circle. Cook the pancakes until the tops are covered with tiny bubbles, then flip them over and finishing cooking.